In this space we will show how to make basic instruments for little or no money and give tips on how and where to buy instruments online. For now, here is a basic musical instrument primer to help young kids get started making music.
1. Our voice is the first and most natural instrument. With it we can hum, sing, rap, whistle and beat box.
2. Percussion- Our bodies are great for percussion. Hand clapping, finger snapping, foot stomping are great ways to express rhythm and don't cost a thing.
Drums can be made from almost anything like buckets or card board boxes, yogurt tubs etc. Drums have been made for thousands of years and come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Banging on a drum comes very naturally to us.
Shakers- shakers can be made from all kind of things around the house or purchased in many shapes, sizes and colors.
3. Wind- whistles, recorders and kazoos are great beginning wind instruments
4. Strings- older kids can start looking at the ukulele, guitar and violin
5. Piano/electronic keyboard- Perhaps the best instrument for having a solid understanding of music.